Thursday, June 01, 2006

Humble Confidence

It is amazing to me how offensive it is to some people for other people to be completely confident in their beliefs. Apparently, some people thrive on the idea that the only thing that CAN be known for sure is that nothing can be known for sure.

Life is too complex and our individual experiences too unique, they say. Certainly, my truth is not yours, and there can never be a definitive explanation for life and earth and man and God, etc.

This idea only serves the purpose of allowing people to avoid confronting the things in God's Word, which make them uncomfortable. Things like sin, death, judgment, and Hell and especially their own depravity.

Eventually, those who are offended by another's confidence accuse the other of being less than humble. "Oh your so sure of everything, aren't you?" I have heard it said more than once. "Why should I believe something just because you believe it?"

They miss the point entirely.

Never confuse confidence with arrogance. I wake up in the morning, look in the mirror and see a middle aged fat guy who deserves none of the good things (a lasting marriage, great kids who love the Lord) with which the Lord has blessed me. There are no delusions of grandeur here.

But my confidence is not in me. It is in the Lord, His promises, His Word, His sacrifice for me on the cross, His resurrection, and the fact that there is no other way. If there is one thing I have learned, it is that I cannot, must not rely on myself. The Bible says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.” Read II Corinthians 11 to see what someone far greater and more confident than I says about his confidence (foolishness?). Paul was concerned that the believers, to whom he was writing would be led astray by false teachers. That is what this blog is about, though it is directed to no one in particular.

So, if you have happened upon this blog, make no mistake. You need Jesus real bad. How do I know? Because I need him worse than you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard, I always enjoy your comments on Out Of Ur... or is it Into Ur?... and am especially impressed with your dialogue with Mike Rucker on his blog. You say the things I think only better.

Richard Dennis MIller said...

I am truly flattered.